Sunday, April 15, 2018

torta rustica

We had two days of spring last week. Finally the crocuses could bloom

my creation: torta rustica

a Naomi selfie  She went to a Piston game the other night. One of the players signed his shoe and threw it at her

inside the torta. I was hoping for several discrete layers of different colors Used too much spinach and not enough red peppers to see its layer

woke up to all the windows iced over

trees and streets covered too. Fortunately it started well after my guests had left

Ugh this weather. I so much wanted to run this morning or better yet, ride my bike but a thick coat of ice over everything is stopping that. It is the middle of April. We did have two days of relative warmth though they were windy.. Instead of running out and back like I usually do, I ran a big loop, big because the way the roads are around here, there are no small blocks that would work. I ended up on a road that I never had been on before. Hilly but at least some new scenery. 7.5 miles. And finally I was able to go on my bike for 21 miles, a small start in getting ready for the big ride. Yep my cardiovascular system will be able to handle the 340+ miles but a lot is getting used to the seat.

Even the juncos aka snow birds know it is still winter. They are still here though some of them have moved north. We did get a blue bird to show up. I see them out and about but never in my yard so finally. I missed it . Steve pointed it out as it flew away.

I wasted half of the nice day dealing with the secretary of state's office. Every 8 years we have to show up in person to renew our license but now they added a new twist: you need a birth certificate and if the name is different from what you use, a marriage license. Both these documents need to be reviewed by several personnel there and copied. This is so we can use our license to get on a plane in 2020. As others have to do this too, the place is very busy. They do give you an estimated time you will be served with regular text updates so you can do something else until its nearly your turn. Initial time: 2.5 hours but that ended up being stretched to almost 4 hours plus standing in various lines.

This ice storm was advertised in advance though it wasn't supposed to go down as far south as our house (it did). Maya's father, who lives fairly far north, though not as north as he originally did, already told us he won't be coming down so we had Maya for part of the weekend. She often gets night terrors so no sleep for me. At least she settled down to go to sleep much more quickly than usual. When her drug wears off towards evening, she becomes a ball of non stop movement.

I hosted the moms which means I make the main course while the others provide appetizers, salad and dessert. I try to make something healthy and different. How about a multiple layered vegetable torta? Lot of recipes around but I made up one with the materials I had on hand. I wanted to cut open  the torta to find many distinct colors but I got lots of green and white. I had an orange layer of carrots (usually people use squash) and a very thin line of red peppers (needed more) The white layer had chopped artichoke hearts suspended in ricotta cheese. The purple layer, also too small was eggplant. It tasted OK. Also made some orzo risotto dish and more roasted vegetables. And wine, we always have lots of wine. It was vey fun. I wore a skirt (all silk at that) for the first time since junior high, one of the two I had stuffed in my clearance bag at the resale shop along with yet another pair of textured hose.

In the middle of the night I hear what sounded like glass clinking...invader? It was the ice pellets pounding the window. Wasn't sure when it started but it seems people were able to drive home before the mess.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Love the crocus. We planted rather a lot yesterday and have high hopes.

Kat&Chris said...

Sue,
Your Torta is beautiful!
Hope the weather picks up soon here in MI. We have had tons of birds at the feeders the last few days, it is a job keeping them filled.
Spring is coming, Spring is coming!
Kathy

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

At the gym we met a 'birder' who keeps track of the waterbirds at the Huron River which usually are just mallards, swans and Canada geese. She said migrating loons, scraups, mergansers and bufolo heads are there now. need to go there

This has been the latest I ever saw crocuses. They are reliable though.

Followers

Blog Archive