Sunday, January 28, 2018

Our Seattle family

We took Steve's mom out to lunch

Her grandson is very attentive

Seattle is full of murals though the best ones I saw from the train

we went to Happy Hour downtown near where the new Amazon complex is

Liked the name of this bar. Another cool name: Biscuit Bitch

Steve and one of the Pike Market pigs

Still too cloudy to see the Olympic mountains though on the last day it was clear enough to see them. Not clear enough to see Mount Rainier which was going to receive 3 feet of snow the day we left

Add caption



cheese factory

AdUs. I walked around all day in my exercise outfit

My mother-in-law and her three kids

I cooked up some salmon for our large family dinner one of the nights when the kids were not working

Why go to Seattle during its worse month? Rain, cold...
We hadn't seen Steve's mother in more than a 18 months and at 93, she is not going to live forever though her health issues have largely resolved that caused the other place she was staying to kick her out. And at least it would be warmer there with little chance of snow and ice. It did rain a lot though I was able to find a few dry periods to exercise.

It is difficult to coordinate the wants and needs of so many people (at our dinner, we had 10 people) but things largely worked out. Lots of eating out, which is not good for my weight maintenance plan. Still trying to recover from that. All should be lost in time for my next big trip. And it was nice seeing green grass, flowers, hummingbirds, unfrozen lakes, mountains and different scenery. I did run every day mainly along Green Lake or Lake Washington though one day, we went to the highest point of her neighborhood (she must live in the lowest point: I ran there once up an incredible hill) where they have a reservoir and great views on the rare clear days to run around in tight circles during gale force winds and rain.

We all got along and there was lots of them reminiscing about their childhoods. It was not an easy life with mental illness and poverty.

Now I am back adjusting to Michigan before going to Central America. Fortunately we had a brief warm spell when I could run on the backroads and bike. This ends tomorrow.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive