Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Oh deer

Our herd of deer crossing through at dusk Must be 20 deer
Have 3 huge blooms of this

A dual birthday cake for Oliver and Steve. For Steve's 55th birthday, he got a grandson

I've been meaning to make this for years: limoncello tiramisu Very lemony, which is a good thing. Takes a lot of pans to prepare

Ann Arbor is now the killing field for deer. This is the third year of the 'cull' in which they close down parks particularly in the NE quadrant that we lived in and hire sharp shooters. Some of the female deer are not killed but sterilized. Last year, they were not able to kill many deer because the weather was so mild. Mild weather means no snow so they can't track the animals. And the deer were able to find food and actually multiplied significantly. Near our former house was a few blocks of woods that kids routinely used as a shortcut to from school. That was going to be closed too but the neighbors protested as it would be hard to ensure the kids wouldn't be in there. Lots of protests period as there are many deer lovers in AA.

But out here in the country, no official sharp shooters though when I was finally able to run on the side roads during our too brief thaw, I heard unreassuring gunshot. Please don't shoot me. It is not deer season but I think they always can be killed on private land. Driving at night is risky as the deer will suddenly dart in front of you. One night I encountered 3 different sets of animals in a 2 mile stretch. It made me very paranoid so I kept the brights on, slowly  scanning for deer along the sides. I remember when seeing a deer was very rare. Not any more.

Steve and Oliver had their birthday last week. We went out together the night before with the local road blocked off by police. A bank robber was caught inside Shanna's bank with 3 employee hostages. The stand off lasted 5 hours before everyone was released unharmed but terrified.

I usually make dessert for the Mom's group. I try not to repeat myself. Lots of limoncello, lots of eggs...sale on mascarpone cheese and a recipe I had been saving for years. Lots of work juicing lemons and grating rind making different mixes in about 5 different pans. But it did taste good. And it was enjoyable per usual being with the Chosen Sisters, our 38 anniversary of meeting this month.

Winter returned this week with a storm on Monday making running outside impossible. The roads were clear enough yesterday for me to drive to the opposite end of the county to finally get my hair done and then to meet friends to see Call me by your name which could have an hour cut out of it but as it took place in Italy, seeing the scenery was fun particularly the area around Lake Garda that Steve and I were at 3 years ago.

We finally got our Costa Rica package from the tour company. Need to organize some stuff before I go. Need sun now.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive