Sunday, December 3, 2017

Gingerbread limoncello trifle

In an attempt to make the gifts more special, I covered them with 50 blinking fairy lights

full moon rising

my Christmas dessert: gingerbread soaked in limoncello with alternating layers of lemon curd, whipped cream, candied ginger and raspberries

from the side: ideally layers should be even. Too much whipped cream, not enough lemon curd. Also bowl is not a true trifle bowl as sides slope too much

Our hostess's pretty tree

us after 38 years of meeting

What is a trifle? Typically a large parfait with alternating layers of sponge cake, fruit, whipped cream and custard but I wanted it to be more holiday friendly. Gingerbread for sure. Instead of custard, lemon curd? I have some enormous raspberries that are very pretty and for some reason, 3 bottles of limoncello. The individual components tasted good but would they work together? I thought so. In the past, I've made a buche de noel but time to change it up.

Last night was our Chosen Sisters Christmas party. Early because I will leave in a few days, followed shortly by another Mom, followed shortly by yet another. We won't all be in town until January. I have been accumulating suitable presents all year on my travels. It was a lot of fun. We've been meeting since our older kids were babies and have become quite close. Everyone brought special dishes so things were quite festive. And lots of presents. I now have yet another tree, which I let Maya decorate this morning. I am blessed to have these ladies in my life.

6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

It looks a wonderful gathering. And I am sure that the ladies are also grateful to have you in their lives.

Sandi said...

Love the lights!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

That looks scrumptious. I may try to replicate that.

Friends you choose, old friends you treasure.

Kat&Chris said...

Looks great! Did you like the way your trifle tasted?

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

With all the lights and decorations, it was a magical night.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I had lots of leftovers. My brutally honest son said the limoncello didn't add anything positive though he had several servings. I used the liqueur to soak the bottom layer and the Moms were served mainly the top layer. But as I love lemons, raspberries, ginger and whipped cream, it tasted good to me.

Followers

Blog Archive