Monday, November 20, 2017

Resilience

I was trying to get infinite reflections of Maya's head without having me in the photo. I think I need he mirrors to be at right angles

Lost another tooth under my watch. She must have swallowed it. Hope the tooth fairy comes up with a solution

staircase to a temple in Taiwan from my niece

Does having a stress-free, happy childhood lead to a successful adult? Apparently the opposite. A  study of 400 successful people such as Madame Curie, Louis Armstrong and Eleanor Roosevelt showed that 75% of them had horrific childhoods and another 10% had a mixed childhood. Only 15% reported perfectly supportive parents and no poverty or other negative issues. Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger apparently.

Do we do too much for our kids? I was thinking about this as we watched Shanna's kids a couple weeks ago following her detailed instructions. She does a lot more for them than I did for her. In turn I did infinitely more for her than my parents did for me. Help with homework? No way. My Barbie doll needs clothes...make them yourself. I need clothes...make them yourself. And I suspect even less was done for my mother when she was a child. She left home at 16 because she thought she could take care of herself better away from home. My father, a spoiled rich kid, had everything done for him to absolutely no good effect. He never learned resilience; every little setback was the end of the world.

How I miss the warm summer mornings sitting in my cabana on my patio surrounded by flowers and my water features drinking my coffee after I have exercised. Cold, drab and windy these days. Today was the warmest day this week for bicycling but I got tired of waiting for it to be over freezing so out I went. Unfortunately one of the neighborhoods had large water puddles that had turned to ice on my path making my ride treacherous.

We had Maya this weekend. She needs so much help. She needs to be able to read a short list of words on sight. I went through these words one by one having her circle a given word in a short story. Hopefully something will stick. But she does clean up after herself and delights in making beds.


5 comments:

Sandi said...

“Lost another tooth under my watch. She must have swallowed it. Hope the tooth fairy comes up with a solution.”

My son swallowed the first tooth he ever lost. We wrote a letter to the Tooth Fairy and drew a picture of the tooth. :)

Maybe a selfie stick for the reflections?

Elephant's Child said...

Maya is a very pretty girl.
Love that staircase.
My childless self suspects that many children DO have too much done for them. And that it impacts on their creativity and resilience.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I didn't believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny for long but for some reason I believed in the Tooth Fairy. I had misplaced a lost tooth and was heartbroken that I wasn't going to get a dime for it. It was suggested that I make some sort of papier mache substitute and it worked! Then I imagined making a whole bunch of teeth..I'd be rich!

I was then told that you could only fool the Tooth Fairy once. Haven't heard what the Tooth Fairy at Maya's came up with.

Still trying for a good reflection shot. We do have an unused selfie stick. We have Maya for the day Wednesday.

Kat&Chris said...

Sue, It is so nice for Maya(and Naomi) to have you and Steve as such strong supporters and any more you are able to do. Maya must surely know she is loved. I believe that counts for much. Reading will mean so much to her..keep trying!
Happy T-day!
Kathy

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Oh, the grey days of November do little to give us incentive to move but good for you to getting out there. It is still too early here for ice, but things can change on a dime.

I remember my mom and dad helping me with homework. I also remember them making us accept consequences when we did not do what was expected of us. They never bailed us out. I did that with my children and my children are doing the same with their kids. I also know some helicopter parents. They are not doing them any favors.

Followers

Blog Archive