Monday, August 21, 2017

The day of the eclipse

We were to get only 80% coverage here in SE Michigan. And looming clouds threatened visibility. Steve's photo
No I can't see the sclipse in this either. iPhone attempt. Also failure, taking photos of mirror images. I could see the bite the moon was taking out of the sun but couldn't photograph it
the boys looking at the sclipse
one of the hairy donkeys on my bike ride got a haircut
acres and acres of sunflowers. The farmer said too many people trespassing and stealing his crop. The barrier of poison ivy was enough to keep me out


Nearby neighbors find any occasion to light off fireworks and fire crackers. Today's excuse: the eclipse. No I didn't travel down to the bands of totality though I know those who did. Would have to settle with the 80.5% predicted. It was also very cloudy this afternoon making the eclipse not all that visible.

I found a way to complete my favorite loop though it involves more dirt roads. Still the new route was nice and only a mile longer than my favored but closed due to construction loop. And extra bonus, the dirt road is fairly smooth and goes through a dense forest. I took off on my bike ride right before dawn. As I ride due north for 5 miles, I can watch the sun rise to my right, a giant orange ball.

Summer is winding down. Spent a pleasant evening with a friend drinking fancy beers and watching warring hummingbirds.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Love that field of sunflowers...

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I understand the farmer's concern but poison ivy is a nasty plant that can do damage. I hope it just grew naturally and not placed there on purpose.

We only got 80% also, but it was still awesome to see.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Unfortunately, poison ivy can be found in most roadside ditches around here and lots of other places too. He did not plant it. He has gotten the sheriff out to give tickets to trespassers though.

Followers

Blog Archive