Wednesday, February 22, 2017

The Euchre Belt

my sister-in-law and Shanna's kids

mural from the Mexican restaurant we ate at

A walk along the Huron in Ypsi
Maya and Allie
My brother-in-law as Slenderman
smiley Hannah

Another folk art doll to add to my collection

My brother and sister in laws are on their way to the airport to fly back to their respective coasts after a 5 day visit, which is part of the reason I've been missing from the blogsphere as of late. For the most part, the visit was fun full of visits with the kids and grandkids. As some of us have opposing political views (well one of us), there were some unpleasant moments. I have learned the hard way to keep quiet around here. There is no changing a closed mind.

Lots of opportunities for me to practice self control with all the eating out and drinking.  I was good most of the time but it does not take much to undo all the painstaking progress I had made.  It is so much easier when I am by myself, not in social situations. Previously, I was more than 40 pounds down but now I'm up 2 pounds. Sad face.Another week more added to my schedule. I won't be finished until sometime in April.

So the family played euchre, a game that was played around the country a hundred years ago but now is mainly confined to Michigan and a few other Midwestern states. German immigrants brought it from Europe, particularly German farmers. In Euchre, the Bauer card or the Farmer (the Jack) is the best card; not the queen or king. It is a co-operative game; two teams of two. Josh has trouble containing his frustration when his sibling partners don't make the ideal moves.

We also had a week of record highs. Yay! So we could take walks outside and early in the morning I could run or bike without getting frostbite. Winter returns this weekend but then my least favorite month will be almost over. Added bonus, longer days.

Supreme annoyance: it has been over a year since the accident in which I smashed my teeth doing a face plant. My medical insurance theoretically covers fractured teeth due to an accident but is making it impossible to be reimbursed. I have spent hours on the phone. The latest rejection was because I didn't have pre-approval for treatment. But I did. The latest round of phone calls led me to an upbeat woman who thought me getting the $2400 charges covered will be no problem and will get back to me by Thursday. We will see. Not hopeful. They covered the $8000 plastic surgeon bill with no problem

4 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Politics, especially this year, has ruined long friendships and made family get-togethers difficult. I don't ever remember this happening before but here we are. It is best to speak about the weather or Game of Thrones.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I lost some Facebook 'friends' due to political differences. I agree with you: no speaking of politics unless you are sure everyone has similar beliefs.

Teri Bernstein said...

Thank goodness I am back to reading your posts as part of my routine...I guess I was seeing you on Facebook so I just got out of the habit.
BTW, did you see this article? https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/12/nyregion/new-jersey-parents-cardboard-bassinets.html

It certainly made me think of the laundry basket for Maya. Who knew we were ahead of our time?

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I worked with a man who said he was a preemie in Nigeria. He spent a month in a shoebox as he was so tiny.

Maya seemed happy in her laundry basket.

Miss you. When are you coming to Michigan?

Followers

Blog Archive