Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Taurid fireball





This is Venus and Jupiter (on top)  Mars is just to the left of Venus. I could see it with my naked eye but the camera doesn't register it. Officially this is a conjunction of Mars and Venus. A few days ago, the three were in a tight pattern but they have spread apart considerably

Maya working on her letters yesterday


Maples at the old house about 10 days ago taken by a neighbor during the evening. Steve is in charge of leaf removal. Almost all gone. More work to be done on the house tomorrow and I will come by for a final cleaning and hope that is all.

The Mars -Venus conjunction was to peak early this morning. I've been missing the various conjunctions due to clouds, daylight savings time and what have you but today at 5:30 am, I was up trying to get Steve's camera in manual mode. While I was out there, a massive meteor  fell just to the north of the conjunctions. Wasn't expecting to see that! Looked it up. It was part of the Taurid fireball display which is to peak tonight. They don't call it a shower as the most that will fall will be 7 an hour but the size of the meteors make it spectacular. Also the Northern Lights were to be this far south but again, missing in action.
 
I awoke Steve for help with the camera that in the end was not any more useful than the iphone despite the telephotolens. But before he would help me, he had to go through his set routine. No shortcuts even though the sun was going to come up soon. My favorite: Shanna called to say she was in labor with Tess, a absolutely minimum drive of 12 hours, on laundry day. He insisted on doing the laundry even though Shanna had laundry facilities and time was awasting. He now justifies the delay because as it turned out, Shanna was NOT in labor. But he is very, very rigid. When I used to go there by myself, I would be out the door in less than 15 minutes.
 
But the meteor sighting was a plus. I have not seen many in my long life despite staying up for when they are to occur. I've seen them only during times they were not expected, the biggest one by far was in Manistique, Michigan 16 years ago just as I was about to go to bed. (and the sun doesn't set until almost 11 pm that time of year) Actually the sun wasn't completely set but to the east, the meteor fell less than a mile from us. Very bright. It almost looked like fireworks but there was no one there.
 
It is so nice out. My friend and I were out bright and early for a 14 mile bike ride. We did have to endure a mile of rushhour traffic but then, deserted roads. There are still a few trees out, notably the sugar maples. And bonus, no wind.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Love that maple.
Meteors (and indeed falling stars) are a rarity in my life too. An inflexible partner is not.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! Maya is beautiful, too. Hope the house situation has now closed and you can breathe a sigh of relief. Kris

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

We do have a closing scheduled and all the work they demanded is done. But until everything is signed, I will worry.

Followers

Blog Archive