Thursday, June 20, 2013

Veer for Deer

View of Green Mountain on way
Six states (if you count DC, and with their snarky license plate slogan "Taxation without Representation" I guess they want to be counted too) later and I am here in a pretty flower filled neighborhood close to the Maryland border waiting for coffee before heading out on a run on the Capital Crescent.
I forgot to bring a iPad keyboard so this is a pain typing.

My deer experience was in West Virginia. I am in the middle of a 3 lane freeway going 70 and I see a just spotless fawn step into my lane. No problem, I switch to the right but then it reverses course right into my new path. I avoid it by slamming on the brakes. This is not what you are supposed to do. In western Michigan, there are signs all over, Don't Veer for Deer.
We both survived.

I took the long way going the length of Maryland. Very pretty. I made several stops recommended to me but not in Antietam, home of the battle that I had to report on long ago mispronouncing it the whole time. At home, the theme for naming our subdivision roads is Revolutionary Battles but they threw in two Civil War names for fun or ignorance: Gettysburg and Antietam. I stopped to see the Green Mountain Overlook, strolled through Cumberland, stopped to see the C&O towpath that paralleled my route and bought gas that is 70 cents less. than pricy Michigans.

Good new! Ohio raised its speed limit to 70
Bad news, most of the state is a construction zone. Not that they seemed to be doing much.

Funny place names:   Eighty-four and Laboratory, both in PA. Negro Mountain in MD..
Funny road:  Pig's Ear in WV

Empty threat? photographing speeder's license plates in MD construction zones. Am I safe with my no front plate MIchigan style?








Good news, Ohio 

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive