Friday, July 20, 2012

Back from Bicycleland!

I'm Back!

This is what I faced this morning on my trail ride along Mullet Lake headed north to Mackinaw City with a tailwind. The cry of the loons, the coolness of the air (for a change!), sweet peas all in bloom around me, does it get better than that?

So I made it: 252 miles of which 160 miles were trails. Some days were horribly hot, one night  of torrential rain, one day of all drizzle, very scary hills, 45 miles of riding uphill into a headwind, some totally isolated areas in which all you could see were pine trees and hills in the mist but I made it. But on the absolutely hilliest day that I dreaded, we were blessed with a rare east wind that made it so much easier.

Forty year old Sue had no problem with all this. She rode single track paths through shoulder high weeds, through sand pits, much greater distances, etc but pushing sixty Sue has been through a lot and to top it off, there is just too much of her to love and to haul up 500 foot climbs. I wasn't the oldest or the fattest or the slowest there. I met a lot of people on the ride who at first glance one would say, no way this person could do this but they were going to try.

Lots of pictures; lots of fun...lots of discovery.
Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Teri Bernstein said...

Woo Hoo! Welcome Back. Beautiful picture. Congratulations. Can't wait to hear the details. xoxo

Followers

Blog Archive