Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cinderella

This little one will have big feet too. As you can see, she is finally growing hair though she still has that male pattern  baldness thing going on


While I was growing up, in the fairy tales that I read, all the princesses in disguise were pretty and
 petite. I especially hated the story of Cinderella, Disney version, in which the evil step sisters were
 large and had big feet. Big=bad; petite=good. Where did this leave me? I was huge. I was usually
 a head taller than my classmates and my feet were their adult size by the time I was 11. What story
 could I relate to? There was Baby Huey the chick 10X the size of his peers. He was good natured
 but kind of stupid.

I liked the Grimm version of Cinderella better. In order for the evil step sisters to have their feet fit
 into the dainty slipper, one cut off her toes and the other shaved off her heel. Both maimings worked
 for a while until the trails of blood were noticed. Then for good measure, Cinderella's pigeon friends
 pecked out their eyes.

Petiteness and tiny feet are even more valued in other cultures. I worked with a beautiful woman 
that came from a small Chinese village. Everyone in the village pitied her because she was 5'7" and 
had size 7 feet; too big for a husband. Plenty of men in the US though appreciated her charms.

My favorite situation was when men obsessed outloud that their sons weren't tall enough for sports
. These men are all scientists and should have had a basic understanding of genetics. Hello: if having
 a tall son was your top priority, don't go for the petitest princess you could find! Go for us big girls!

Dogwood blossoms and snow. What doesn't fit in this picture? The snow didn't stick around for long.
 The strong winds made my running less pleasurable. Today I went with Naomi and Maya to her 
 speech therapy class. They seem content to add to her receptive vocabulary. They are adding an 
additional class for her to attend full of other speech delayed children.

Tomorrow: we are on the road again. Postings may become spotty.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive