Thursday, April 28, 2011

Après moi, le déluge

The more apt expression: avec moi, le déluge.

It has been raining almost non-stop here for the past few days. The ground is saturated and our sump pump works noisily around the clock to prevent the lower level from flooding. The racket keeps me up. Even when it goes silent, I am awake as I fear that the motor has burnt out and the flooding will begin.


During a rare break in the rain, I ran between flooded fields listening to the frogs and the spring birds. The break was not long enough as it poured on me for the last 15 minutes. Fortunately it was warm and not windy.



As for the title, the flood in question was figurative, not literal. The quote was presumably by Louis XV who seemed to predict  the French Revolution. Others have interpreted this expression to show his callousness as in 'after I am dead, nothing will matter, least of all to me."


Finals are coming up for Ms. Naomi and we've been studying daily. I will be glad when this week is up.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive