Thursday, November 25, 2010

Tradition

This will be the first time in 4 years that all the kids will be here for Thanksgiving. Before 2006, Shanna lived in CA after she graduated but returned to MI for  not quite a year before moving to Boston. I make the same things every Thanksgiving. The few times I had decided to change things, I was faced with angry kids. This is not a time when my inventiveness is appreciated. Almost every Thanksgiving, we had included my (now ex) life long friend who pleaded for a less boring menu. She will not return to our table. It makes me sad that 57 years of friendship are over but what can one do. It can not be fixed.

The Menu:

Turkey with celery-onion dressing, gravy
Ambrosia (orange, pineapple, coconut, sour cream marshmallow mix aka 5 cup salad)
A green salad of some sort
Rolls
Sweet potato casserole supplied by my DIL
Green bean casserole aka 3 can casserole though I don't use canned green beans
 Apple crisp

In the past, the friend supplied the pumpkin pie. I also have had cranberry relish too but no one eats it

The kids have other places to be today so we have to co-ordinate schedules. Josh and Julia will go to DC for X-mas where Julia's parents live but I have them for today.

Happy Thanksgiving all!!

2 comments:

Teri Bernstein said...

I hope you had a happy day! What, no smashed potatoes? I baked three pies and made a lentil vegan stuffed pumpkin. Dick made roasted brussel sprouts and we went to his brothers a mile away. A fun evening all around...May the year bring many blessings, and may you make the same dishes next year...

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I did get some flak for the lack of mashed potatoes. I figured with the sweet potatoes and rolls, we had enough starch. So does the Younger Adult relative still eat everything raw? Pumpkin would be hard...
Remember the pumpkin risotto we had in Bonassola?
Anyway...keep us in mind for the January trip..

Followers

Blog Archive