Monday, November 29, 2010

Historical Postcards

Postmarked 1908. My father graduated from here 1944. Later it became the Frieze building, part of UM. I took Anthropology 101 in it. About 5 years ago, the university ripped it down to build a dorm. Only the doorway remains.
Eastern HS, Detroit Postcard dated 1918. My maternal grandfather attended here

Ford Rotunda postmarked 1944. Every year Ford would have an elaborate X-mas display within that we attended even though we lived in NY at the time. When I found out that I was moving to Michigan, I was excited because I would be then able to go to the Rotunda all the time but alas, it burned down the same year I moved here.
From 1909. Most of the older postcards are drawings but this is a doctored photo.

Madison Square Garden and the Met Life Bldg which at that time (1910) was the tallest structure in the world at 48 stories

I was digging through one of the closets today looking for manuscripts that my paternal grandmother and grandfather had written. They are in sealed wooden boxes and I have never opened them. The search continues for them. Instead I came across a box of postcards that were from my mother's family. A lot of them are from fairly local places, Brighton Water works, Jackson firehouse, Henry Ford Hospital (1943) but there are some from Germany too before WWI.

I also came across some genealogy papers of both my paternal grandfather's and  my daughter's ex-fiance. My grandfather had traced us back to Scotland. The papers are quite complicated. One entry was quite sad for a woman, who as near as I can tell was the great aunt of my paternal grandfather.
Twins: born and died 1832
Triplets : born and died 2-27-1839
Twins: born and died 8-30, 1840
There was a surviving boy born before the triplets who died at 13. So this lady buried 8 kids, at least.
According to the Weather Channel, the meteorological winter begins tomorrow. But it was sunny and calm today, good for a long run.

Up in Canada, Ramy's procedure went smoothly. We'll have one last dinner with them tomorrow.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive