Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hummingbirds and their imposters


These pix are from the net. I will post Josh's pix of them feeding on my petunias as soon he or I figure out how to send them from his phone.

While Josh was over earlier today, we were watching the antics of the 2 hummingbirds fighting again over the rights of the feeder. One would take a drink but then be impaled by the beak of her rival. Suddenly Josh said that there was a third one, a much smaller kind, on my petunia basket flitting from flower to flower. It let Josh stand right over it as he took pix with a camera phone (will get these at some point). Now the hummingbirds will get close to you if they feel like it but they won't let you approach them..too close for their comfort. I thought it was a very large bee but it was clearly sipping the nectar with its bill like thing. Also in Michigan, we just have the ruby throated hummingbird which my girls are (though being girls, no ruby throat). The wings moved too fast to tell what they were and it was not green.. I never saw a hummingbird moth (though that thing on the beach last Wedensday probably was) before.

We then watched Girl with a Dragon Tattoo which I am to get the book soon from Julia. Someone had left a copy of the next book on the airport seat. I waited for an hour for it to be claimed..but now its mine..all mine.

6 comments:

Kat&Chris said...

Wow! great photos of the hummingbird moth! I saw one once in our Holland garden (attracted to the milkweeds we always left to flower)and it didn't let me get close, and I recall it was mostly brown/dull colors compared to this beauty.
Kathy

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Sadly this isn't my picture but the internet's. These pictures are 2 kinds of hummingbird moths. Mine looked like the bottom one...colorful. It did let Josh take pictures of it and videos on his phone. It stayed around for a long time and was not camera shy. Once I get a hold of his phone, I will post his.

Alamgir Hossain said...

I was astonished when I saw a larger bee in my garden. But when I watched it closely, it didn't seem to a bee. It was like a bird. I didn't know what type of bird is it.It is most similar to the first picture and those I captured by camera. However, it delighted me because it is rare in Bangladesh.

Alamgir Hossain said...

I saw a bee like bird in my garden. I was astonished when I watched a larger size bee. But it didn't seem to bee. It's like a small bird. I was lucky because I have never seen it before.

Anonymous said...

I just saw this bird in our garden. At first I thought it was a bee, but looking closer and watching its habits I knew it was a hummingbird. Have never seen this species before. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

I just saw this amazing creature today for the first time! I have to admit I was a little scared of it at first, thinking that it was an evil bee of some sort. Thanks for the picture so I could identify it!

Followers

Blog Archive