Thursday, January 14, 2010

Dorsal lateral prefrontal cortex

This is the last part of the brain to develop. In 'normal' people, it doesn't finish maturing until their 20s. This part of the brain is involved in decision making and the most neglected part, understanding the consequences. Its lateness to mature goes a long way in explaining some teenage behavior. This part of Naomi's brain clearly hasn't developed at all. I have tried my hardest to provide this missing link for her going over and over possible life choices and their consequences to deaf ears apparently. Of course she will have to live with the consequences, which she still hasn't grasped.
So I am trying to make peace with this. The initial shock has thankfully worn off and now I will get on with my life, which has been altered considerably.

2 comments:

Sara Diana said...

We always want to do the best for our children and the issue of not understanding the consequences seems small but it is HUGE.

You are your own person, you are a good good mother, you have done your very best and can do no more. Absolve yourself, you have done a good job. Just be there for the falls without recriminations.

Lisa L said...

Sue, I've followed your blog for a long time. Lurker..sorry...never commented. Reading between the lines I think I glean what may be happenning. You are an excellent mum. You've gone above and beyond helping your girl through life's challenges. It will be hard, but you'll be ok. I know you're feeling blindsided right now. (((hugs))).

Followers

Blog Archive