Sunday, June 28, 2009

Tougher than cancer

What is harder to deal with than cancer sometimes is dealing with a rage filled teenager who completely lacks common sense. Sometimes I just don't know how to handle her. She spent the day at the beach. She has fair skin but she thinks it is very important to have a tan and will fry herself despite lots of warnings.


I am very tired. Usually I recover quickly from my runs but I didn't yesterday. I tried to go for a walk with a friend in the heat yesterday but after a mile and after being attacked by numerous deerflies, I asked if we just not do this that day. Today I took a nap in the middle of the day though I was able to run this morning. I am looking forward to cooler temps next week.

I did go out to lunch today with my son Josh who is 27. I hadn't been alone with him to talk in a while so that was nice. If only Naomi could be as easy to deal with as him.

My raspberries are ripening in the hot sun. I went to look at the berry plants that have invaded my hosta section and was surprised to find out that they are not raspberries at all but wild blackberries (fruit looks completely different though the leaves are similar) Not sure how they all got there all at once. Birds must be a vector somehow.

I haven't seen my little hummer in a week and unless microbunny turned into macrobunny, he's gone. Even the chimney swifts are gone

6 comments:

Holly said...

ahh...Sue, being a mom is so damn hard sometimes...I have a 25 year old daughter and a 20 year old son - so i know! i'm so sorry your girl is driving you crazy and that you are on your own to deal with her....i wish we lived closed enough so that you could come over - or i could come over and we could commiserate...i am here in cyberland...your friend.

Sarah Sullivan said...

Oh hon...am with you here. My 17 year old has Oppositional Defiance Disorder & I suspect Bipolar disorder. We have not had a melt down in a few months but she is always pushing my limits..everyday. I just wanna scream some days!! How you are coping and dealing with the cancer hon...Huge hugs and know I'm here to lend a shoulder or an ear. Sarah

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Thanks Sarah and Holly

Oppositional Defiance-sounds a little familiar. I think we have a little of that going on. She wants so much to be a grown-up but she is so far from it.

Daria said...

I'm sorry you have to go through this with your daughter ... I don't have children so have no advice to offer.

It must be really hard on you ...

Sara Diana said...

My 8 year old is high functioning autistic and it has been a tough 8 years! I can sympathise with you because I get meltdowns and rages and it is so hard to deal with.

Its a tough one, but I think you did the right thing not to throw her out. As far as making mistakes such as tanning, shes going to have to learn the hard way!

Wish I could support you better Sue,

Kat&Chris said...

Sue,
You are one of the most interesting accomplished and fun women I know.
I'm sorry Naomi is so difficult...you know that your decisions about her come straight from your loving heart and that even though she doesn't like it, you are there for her. Keep up the good work and know that your efforts do make a difference. I can't imagine how it would feel if I were a difficult person and everyone gave up on me....
love, Kathy
PS your running updates are inspirational, keep going!

Followers

Blog Archive