Saturday, May 16, 2009

Prom


I will add more pictures later. The past few weeks Naomi has been obsessed with the prom. Numerous hours were spent looking for the dress, plotting and planning etc. She had a tan sprayed on the other day. Much to her disappointment, it has washed off quite a bit. This morning we went to a classmate's girlfriend's house for the 1.5h hairstyle. Naomi's hair is very thick so it took a long time to put it in ringlets. The girl who did it is a high school student but won a state competion in hair design. Her mom kept referring to her as a 'miracle'baby. I was thinking that she was conceived at a late age (the mom looked much older than me) or was a preemie but no, they adopted her from a Romanian orphanage. She took lots of pictures of Naomi's hair to add to her portfolio. Then it was off to the mall for nails, which took forever.
In a few hours, it will be time for group pix, the limo ride, dinner, and then the prom.
Her car priveleges have been taken away but this means I have to chauffeur her all over the place. I got a call from her counsellor about her absences. News to me. She still insists she has been in every class every day-one of those 'who do you believe, me or your lying eyes' situations. All the grades have to be raised and she was stuck in the house last night doing projects.
During chemo, my molar split in two leaving a very sharp edge. For a week, I had a sore on my tongue from being cut on the sharp edge. The tongue healed and I manage to avoid getting cut further but meanwhile the tooth has decayed according to my dentist. Plus my gums were left in bad shape from the chemo so my visit yesterday was no fun. Now I have bug bites all over my face. Everytime I try to tend my rock garden, a cloud of insects flies out and stings my face. And for some reason, one of my eyes is all swollen. Yep I look just great.
I've been sad alot in the last few days. When one is in cancerland, one can't wait to leave it but then one finds, not much has changed. Naomi is a very difficult child to parent. It is so hard trying to get her on the right track. Plus something an in-law said about me really hurt me and I have hardly heard from any of my friends. All the makings of a pity party.

2 comments:

S. F. Heron said...

sue, one of the hardest things for a non-cancer patient to understand is that we run the gamut of emotions like the ticking of a clock. Sad, depressed, morose, afraid, bitter - it doesn't make for a happy camper.

I have run into the same things and I will add this one truth - no one should be judging you in any way after what you've been through. And unless said person has been in your shoes, diagnosed and treated for cancer, it's impossible for that person to realize the incredible stress and pressure you're under.

Fairness needs to work both ways.

I've been having a pity party for 2 weeks now. Not like me at all but I am :(

I'll keep you company.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts (as usual)Sharon. Need to get my mind out of the rut of negative thoughts. I will.

Followers

Blog Archive