Wednesday, March 4, 2009

We're Number Nine!

According to the AP poll taken Saturday, Naomi's team was ranked ninth in the state.


Michigan prep girls basketball poll
3/3/2009, 7:12 a.m. ET
The Associated Press

The top 10 teams in the Associated Press high school girls basketball poll, with records through Sunday in parentheses. Totals are based on 15 points for a first-place vote, 14 for second, etc.
___
CLASS A:
1. East Lansing (20-0) 75
2. Grosse Pointe North (16-4) 67
3. Birmingham Marian (19-1) 66
4. Detroit Renaissance (15-3) 58
5. Benton Harbor (18-2) 56
6. Temperance Bedford (20-0) 49
7. Saginaw Arthur Hill (16-4) 47
8. Canton (18-2) 37
9. Ann Arbor Huron (17-3) 27
9. Brighton (16-4) 27
Also receiving votes: Midland (17-2) 25, Detroit King (14-4) 22, Flushing (16-4) 18, Livonia Franklin (17-3) 8, White Lake Lakeland (15-5) 4, Detroit Southeastern (13-3) 4, Lake Orion (18-2) 4, Dearborn (18-1) 3, Okemos (16-3) 1, Detroit Pershing (13-4) 1, Grosse Pointe South (16-4) 1.


Sadly we had lost 2 of our games to the sixth ranked team by 1 and 2 points respectively. Very annoying as we had beaten them in the past. The districts continue tonight but Naomi's hand is very swollen from Monday's game. She has been starting for the past 3 weeks but we'll see tonight.

After today, the temps go up into the 50s and 60s. Can't wait. I continue to be able to walk faster and faster. I am thinking a large part of my improvement must be due to distancing myself from the Red Devil. At some point I will measure how far I went yesterday. Last week, the day after dosing and I still felt OK, I had 20 minutes left in my walk and 2 ladies jumped in front of me. I thought I might be able to keep up with them but no, at the end of the 20 minutes I couldn't even see them, which made me very sad. Also the LiveStrong lady thinks I can join the April class. I will be doing my rads then but hopefully that won't be a problem though my blog friend Sharon was told she can't shovel snow anymore or lift more than 15 lbs on rads.

My neighbor wrote me a nice note (received in the mail though she lives right next door)yesterday offering to help if I need it. Her husband is still dealing with the aftermath of prostate cancer but seems to be be recovering just fine despite some dire predictions. Prostate cancer, like breast cancer is usually (not for me however) sex hormone fueled. Blocking male hormones results in osteoporosis.

Steve and I went out to lunch yesterday with some former colleagues, Larry and Mary. Steve had worked in the same lab as Larry back in NJ more than thirty years ago. We had a nice time. Their son, who lives on the Upper Westside in NYC happened to look out his window and saw that plane a few weeks ago land in the Hudson River. Quite the sight! He had witnessed both planes crashing into the Twin Towers on 9-11 also.

Despite the painful hand, Naomi seemed in a good mood and I let her watch Flight of the Conchords with me. Very funny though she didn't grasp all the Simon and Garfunkel jokes.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive